Saturday, October 30, 2010

Where is the Music For Children?

A few months ago, I was talking with a friend about music for our kids. If you tune in anytime to any music station on any given day you hear explicit lyrics and racy undertones. What do our kids have to listen to? There, of course, is KidBop but it is just kids singing those racy songs with a few words taken out. It's not the same. I have a 9 year old daughter who loves music. What option does she have? There is Radio Disney. They play songs by artists such as Miley Cyrus, Hannah Montana, The Jonas Brothers.....but as they have gotten older some of their lyrics have evolved. What's a parent to do?



In walks Cyphonique aka Lil' Miss Swagger. For those of you who don't know, she is Master P's daughter and Romeo's sister. She is doing it real big. She has clean lyrics and she is hitting the music industry by storm.





Now, Willow Smith is doing her thang with "Whip My Hair." This has become the national anthem for young girls all over the world. I don't feel weird letting my daughter listen to these little girls.



What do you let your children listen to?

8 comments:

  1. iLove This Just Because little kids brains are like sponges and they pick up fast. Leah knows of songs and im surprised at what she sings sometimes so its good we have a couple younger kids coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. Kids love music that they can groove to. Just like their parents. I just believe kids should be kids as long as possible and should not be exposed to racy music. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both songs, it's a shame that negativity is more popular...at least as parents we have a measure on control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree 100%. I am very selective about what I let me kids listen to and it's always good to see new stuff that I don't cringe at when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Children love the sounds of music but we have to shift gears and keep the airwaves clear of any derogatory lyrics. Kudos to kids music and lets continue to keep it positive and selective. I'm a Mommy and I like variety for my little ones and love to see them dance around to "sweet beats, not swizz beats"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love positive lyrics for kids. Parents have to monitor what those little ears take in. CHILDREN'S MUSIC ROCKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We listen to alot of veggie tales cds and old church songs. My baby is quite a bit younger though so that might not work when he gets older lol...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing young ones out there doing something positive. For a few years my kids and I would only listen to gospel music. I would play Dave Hollister and J. Moss. My favorite Artist. I was a youth choir director for a bit so I would have CD's made and also add the songs to their mp3 players with those 2 artist and the kid versions of the gospel songs like Israel Houghton. The songs were safe and also had a good beat to it, that kids love! Lately they have been listening to the radio more and it's irritating!Instead of busting out with the hip remix version of Jesus Loves Me, they sing "Little Freak!" Well not any more.

    ReplyDelete